The Granary Pre-Arrival Information
Turn to Donnington off the A429 between Moreton-in-Marsh and Stow-on-the-Wold. Drive about 400 yards under a tunnel of trees and fork left – uphill – at some barns. Just before the next 30 mph sign (about 150 yards after the corner) turn right just after The Granary cottage (sign on the wall) and before the Wren House sign in the wall. Parking (for two cars side by side) is in on the right. Take care of reversing around stone walls – they can bite!
N.B. If you are following a Satellite Navigation device it will take you to the back lane where there is no parking, so please ignore it once you turn off the A429 and follow the above!
Please allow a minimum of two hours if you are driving from London.
The cottage is fully equipped and arranged as follows:
- Hall: Table with information folder on area. Understairs cupboard containing: High chair * two outdoor garden loungers * central heating controls * vacuum cleaner and cleaning equipment * coat hooks * BBQ equipment (starter pack provided but please bring charcoal with you and replenish the starter pack if used) * rechargeable torch & charger * clothes drying rack * garden sun umbrella.
- Sitting room: Log-burning stove (logs provided – additional supply at £25 a load) * double sofa * two armchairs * window seat with cushion and great countryside views * mahogany dining room table and four chairs * digital TV with DVD dock * Video * Wifi * Radio/CD player with iPod dock.
- Kitchen: Fridge and small freezer compartment. (Extra freezer space can be used in the main freezer at Wren House so please do ask.) * Double Oven, ceramic hob and grill * Full sized dishwasher * Washer/Dryer * Microwave * Extractor fan * all crockery, cutlery and cooking equipment you will need * folder with instructions for all cottage equipment and appliances.
- Bedroom: Super kingsize zip and link Sleepeezee bed which can be made up as a kingsize or a twin – please make sure you have made arrangements according to your preference prior to your visit * dressing table, chair and mirror * hanging cupboard with additional shelves * in which is a steam iron and ironing board * bedside tables and lamps * radio * alarm clock * hairdryer * travel cot (in top cupboard).
- Bathroom: Tiled floor with underfloor heating * Full size bath with handset shower spray * Toilet * Full size separate shower with overhead spray and handset spray * Wash basin with mirror and light * Extractor fan * Heated towel rail
- All towels, bed linen and dishcloths are provided.
- Garden: The garden is terraced and very sunny with steps and well-planted flower beds and is privately enclosed with a gate to offer full privacy. There is an outside table and four chairs with cushions and a sun umbrella. There is a BBQ in a separate terraced area with all its equipment in a box in the understairs cupboard where two sun loungers are also stored. Because of the hard surfaces and level changes, you are advised that small children or unsteady adults should be fully supervised.
- Smoking: The Granary is a No Smoking property.
Arrival and Departure:
Arrival time is from 4 p.m. Park immediately beside the cottage (all your space) and walk through the five bar gate and left up some steps to Wren House to collect the key. If you plan to arrive later, or are delayed, please ring Kiloran McGrigor (+44 (0)1451-831787, or mobile +44 (0)7802-676673) so that arrangements can be made to collect the key. Please leave your dog in the car if you have agreed in advance to bring one until the cottage is opened up – Thank you. Departure is by 10 a.m. to allow for the cottage to be cleaned before the next arrival.
The nearest and most convenient shop immediately prior to your arrival is a Tesco store which is off the A429 on the Donnington side of Stow-on-the-Wold and is open daily from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m., and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sundays. Details of the many other shops and farm shops are available in the information book at the cottage.
If you plan to eat out, make sure you book somewhere ahead of arriving, and especially on Friday and Saturday evenings, as the good places get booked even on winter weekdays. There are personal recommendations under DINING OUT.
Breakfast with Other Guests at Wren House:
If you would like breakfast in the house, you are welcome to join other guests (at a time for breakfast agreed with them – usually 8.30 or 9 a.m.) for a full, English breakfast (or just the fruits and cereals if you prefer) at the price of £20 per head, with the request made the evening before. I am sorry but it is not possible to serve breakfast if there are no other guests staying in the house.
Electricity and Logs:
The heating and hot water are run on electricity and so an agreed amount of units of electricity is included in your weekly rental appropriate to the season. Additional electricity (I don’t worry about an odd £1 or two) is charged at cost (with a reading taken on arrival and departure), currently 18 pence per unit. There is a very good and efficient log burner but some people like a hotter house than others, or need to use the clothes dryer etc., so I have instigated this arrangement to cater for all needs. A full cupboard of logs is provided for the log burner. A further load is charged at £25. These are the only extras!
I am required by law to register guests. A simple form is provided on arrival and I would appreciate your completion of it in your own time. Apologies for this bureaucratic detail!
25% of the whole stay as part payment is payable on reservation. Payments can be made by cash, cheque (payable to Kiloran McGrigor) or by bank transfer. Sometimes there is a £6 bank charge for international transfers depending on the relationship between your bank and mine which I ask guests to carry. I no longer accept cards as the companies took everyone for a ride with their costs and bank transfers are just as efficient with internet access.
It happens, but please let me know as soon as possible. Your deposit is refundable up until 6 weeks (42 days) before your arrival date. Once your deposit is paid, a contract exists between us. At 3 weeks (21 days) before your arrival date, the balance of payment will need to be paid even if you cancel – for whatever reason – unless I am able to re-let the cottage. The more warning you give me, the higher the chance I can minimize your loss. For this reason, I recommend that you consider taking out travel insurance.
I LOOK FORWARD TO MEETING YOU AND HOPE YOU WILL ENJOY YOUR STAY.
Please do ring me if you have any other queries.
Mrs. Kiloran McGrigor, Wren House, Donnington, nr. Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire, GL56 0XZ.
Tel: +44 (0)1451-831787